Clutch. Oh b*ll*cks

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Norfolk 'n Good

Clutch. Oh b*ll*cks

Post by Norfolk 'n Good »

Oh well, new car buzz lasted even less long than my usual pretty poor average.

The good bit, picked up what seems like a properly genuine 2003 PD130 estate, Doctor owned it from new and a full VW service history up to 100k, then a decent independent one up to it's current 175k (although the long life service thing worries me frankly, running 12k between oil changes on a diesel just seems wrong, maybe I'm just old!)
Drives beautifully, has had a recentish cambelt/waterpump change and alternator 5k back.

However...
This evening on the a dual carriageway as I exited a roundabout and grabbed third and squeezed the throttle the revs went from 2-2.5k with no real speed increase in that sickening way that can only mean one thing. Oh f***. My worst fear in buying any motor in my price bracket confirmed. To say I'm a tad gutted is probably the understatement of the year.

So anyway, that's where I'm at. I probably jinxed it just by thinking as I looked round it and had a test drive "might even be worth putting a clutch in this if needs it in the next couple of years" I still feel that, wounded as I am.

My gut instinct is to put a single mass conversion in it, partly because I'm old and dual mass flywheels are clearly some kind of sorcery and also because it's cheaper as it turns out having had a gander on ebay. Any opinions on differences in driving feel would be much appreciated. Seen a Comline kit on the bay at a decent price, only concern is are they any good? Always used LUK on the reccomendation of a very learned tame mechanic friend.

Think I may be looking at doing the exhaust flexi along with the bottom engine mount at the same time as the cabin is quite fumey at times. Or could a blocked EGR result in cabin fumes? Mine looks quite oily outside. Any advice on these jobs would be hugely appreciated.
Sorry for all the questions!

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login