B5 Passat woes..get rid or stick with?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

B5 Passat woes..get rid or stick with?

Post by alpenweiss2 »

We have owned our 1999 1.9 TDI 110 BHP AFN Passat since 2013 so just over six years. Bought as a very tidy car with full VWSH.

We have since moved to rural France and I cannot begin to describe to you how difficult it is to find a decent garage you can trust and getting hold of parts here is a nightmare, so everything online.

The car is coming up to 180,000 and we had a new turbo fitted last year.

There are a few issues buuilding up and several are pretty expensive to fix

Aircon has not worked for a year and the compresser pump is squealing when the engine is running? I thought that when ECON was displayed on teh Climatronic that the compresser was disengaged?

I cannot get to the bottom of the clonking suspension despite having changed the top mounts, track rod ends and ARB bushes and having all the arm bushes checked for play. What the hell is causing that clonking over rough roads?

The rear main seal on the engine has been leaking for a while. Could this affect the clutch?

Just today I noticed whilst driving that on certain hills or with the engine under load there is a squealing/whooshing noise as you push down on the accelerator?? Do you think it is because the turbo intake rubber pipe has a small spilt in it which I only discovered yesterday. I have taped over the split with electrical tape until I can get a new part delivered, but could this be the whoosing/squeal sound or is it likely to be something clutch related?

Anyway, getting a bit fed up and not sure what to do? It has been a great car but now the issues are mounting up. Advice folks?

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login