Carry on or scrap?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

renegade_xwo
B2

Carry on or scrap?

Post by renegade_xwo »

I have owned my 2001 B5.5 TDi for almost ten years and done almost one hundred thousand miles (she is now at 195k!) since I bought her. But I feel that our time may be coming to an end. The car has not been neglected by any stretch of the imagination; in fact, I've spent god knows how much on it over that time. Probably around 9k if you count mods. The car has had an oil and filter service every 5-7k with genuine PD oil, a new clutch, a new intercooler, new exhaust, EGR. Now though it has several faults and I don't know if it is worth carrying on. On the plus side this car still pulls like a train and I can get 600 miles from a tank of diesel. I use the car daily to do a 70 mile round trip to work and back. But here are the issues, and I wonder if you guys think it is worth keeping the car on the road when it's MOT is up.

- Oil in the expansion tank. I believe there is an issue with the oil cooler and possibly the pipes which is letting coolant mix with oil. I'm constantly topping off and skimming oil from the tank, this started about a year ago but is getting slightly worse as time goes by.

- Boost pipes leaking. According to my garage the boost pipes all need doing. 195ks on the clock and this is a 'bigish' job.

- EGR valve leaking. Oil is leaking around the EGR valve. This would be the second time I'd had it replaced.

- Internal electronics. None of my internal lights work. I suspect the wiring was corroded under the passenger seat.

- CV joint on its way out, plus the rear shocks (advisory on the last MOT).

- Rust patches appearing round the rear window. Nothing too bad, but once it starts...

- Rear doors leaking. Getting a lot of water ingressing when it rains.

Save or scrap?

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login