Replacing Camshaft Cap Bolts on cap at a time?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Jo0Lz
B1
Passat model: B5.5 6spd 130bhp

Replacing Camshaft Cap Bolts on cap at a time?

Post by Jo0Lz »

I replaced the camshaft and followers in our AVF 1.9 TDI
In the process I ended up having to reuse torqued and stretched camshaft cap and rocker shaft stretch bolts :shock:
The car has been running less than 1 hour in total, the car having now passed an MOT, but now I need to replace those bolts before I drive it anywhere
I have new stretch bolts to be fitted
Obviously replacing the rockershaft bolts is no problem with the cam and cambelt staying in place
My dilemma is with the camshaft and cambelt remaining in place do I

a/. undo just the 2 bolts of each camshaft cap one at a time and replace with the new bolts torqued and stretched correctly one cap at a time

b/. undo all the bolts of all the camshaft caps in the correct sequence, and then replace all bolts and retighten all of them in the correct sequence

My thinking is as the camshaft was replaced just a week ago and the car has been driven just a couple of miles to/from MOT station and run less than 1 hour in total removing a single cap at a time should not unduly stress the camshaft or bearings insitu

What do people think?

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login