loss of power and £££££

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

rolling oldie
still on the production line
Passat model: B5 TDI 130bhp

loss of power and £££££

Post by rolling oldie »

Hello there

I am posting on behalf of my father in law who has a 2005 1.9tdi which he bought on my recommendation. It ran great for a year but this last year its caused him some real problems.

Although I do the tinkering on my own passat, he usually gets anything that goes beyond a service sorted out at a garage as he knows I am not a man blessed with lots of spare time (and i am not a mechanic!) . Unfortunately this has cost him a lot this year and he is still stuck with a power loss problem despite emptying his wallet at 3 different garages! :0 .

So after reading a lot of threads and having a similar problem with mine a while ago (solved by replacing a hose) it would seem this is a common problem. The car runs ok then as soon as it comes under any load it limps for a couple of hours. Up hill, pulling a trailer, hard acceleration all end up with the engine warning light on and hardly any power.

He has been to 3 different garages and spent over £1000 but to no avail. So i am hoping some of you expert folk may be able to shed some light. Surely it cant be anything too complicated!? :-s . Im hoping I can sort it myself.

Here is the list of things he has had done:

1. EGR replacement
2. All air pipes replaced
3. Boost solenoid replaced (not sure what one of those is)
4. Exhaust flow sensor?? he thinks
5. Terra clean

Unfortunately my means of fault reading have gone since moving from xp to windows 10 (the blue ebay cable stopped working at that point) so a cheap solution there would also be welcome. Its been a couple of years since i have had to plug my trusty passat in (213,00 miles and running like a dream :mrgreen: )

Thanks for reading, any advice much appreciated.

Chris

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login