Winter is coming... for your rear subframe!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Jultsu
B7
Passat model: B5.5 1.9TDI 4mot

Winter is coming... for your rear subframe!

Post by Jultsu »

So, a cautionary tale for you 4motion folk out there.

I heard a rather loud knock/bang one evening when I was driving out of a multi-storey carpark and started hearing chafing noises from the rear of the car. I thought one of the heat shields had just dropped on the cardan or driveshafts and drove the car for a few more days before pulling up to a garage and having a quick look under. This is what I found on the right side of the rear subframe: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And for those to whom it is not immediately obvious, the same place here circled in red:

The left side was looking just as grim, I could have probably broken that off as well with a few strikes from a hammer. X( X(. X(.

As you can see from the second photo, I "renovated" my rear subframe a couple of years ago, had it sanded and welded up from those exact joints and painted with anticorrosive spray but I guess the damage had already been done, from within.

Now furiously scouring the Internets for a replacement which hasn't been bathed in salt every winter, and it is proving extremely difficult :((

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login