Loss of power, lower mpg, leaking EGR.

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

JayM1969
B1
Passat model: b5

Loss of power, lower mpg, leaking EGR.

Post by JayM1969 »

HI all just after some advise. Bought this car last may/june and at the time I posted that it didn't seem as quick as my last 130. Under advise of a couple of people, some recommended changing the vacuum pipes, which I did.

in August I loaded up the car with 4 people and luggage and did a fantastic trip to southern Italy and back, the car was so reliable, however, it had a major problem climbing hills of any description to the point where I was doing 30mph on a motorway going up hill dropping gears to keep any type of momentum. In the Monc Blanc tunnel when I put my foot down up hill I noticed a lot of smoke behind me curtsey of the headlights behind me.

Ive been meaning to tackle it since I got back but I don't use the car very often and its spent much of the last 7 months sat in the drive. Ive just finished mending the ccm and A pillar electrics and now want to sort this loss of power.

After removing the engine cover ive noticed a lot of oil around the EGR and i know a faulty EGR can result in a loss of power and lower MPG, some forums blame this or faulty MAF (think this is right) censor. Ive also read that turbo's can also fail.

What im after from you wonderful bunch of people is what you think is the best course of action from my description above. Im not willing to part with this car as its the best condition Passat ive ever owned. There are some niggles but with your help ill tackle anything.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jason

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login