CTS and thermostat change OK. Still heating problem ...?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dvhttn
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 PD130 Sport

CTS and thermostat change OK. Still heating problem ...?

Post by dvhttn »

Right. Just changed the thermostat and CTS on my PD130, AVF engine. Symptoms that preceded the change were:

1) on a cold start (warm start as well - not sure) the engine would idle at 1100/1200 rpm and feel 'rough'
2) glow plug light on for far longer than it should have been (by several seconds)
3) VCDS said the coolant temperature was about -25 deg. C .... :hyst (though this last one could be a VCDS bug I suppose)
4) heater not heating up as quickly and not getting as hot.

So Meyle parts ordered and fitted.

So now it starts and idles at the correct speed and is much smoother and the glow plug light goes out almost immediately. Haven't tried VCDS yet as it's a ball-ache to get my old laptop connected etc etc.

BUT ....... the heater now seems to heat up a little quicker than it did but doesn't seem to get to as hot a temperature as it did before. It may be just me but if it really is cooler what's the likely culprit? Bear in mind that the CTS and thermostat are new, the rad. is nearly new and when I replaced the rad. (18 months and c. 10K miles ago) I also flushed the system out as best I could. The coolant is nice and pink and no dodgy looking stains or deposits in the (again, nearly new) expansion tank.

Not overly fussed at the moment but would like to get ahead of any issues that may be brewing.

Ta.
-----
Dave
Carpe diem ....

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login