Saggy leather door cards,

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

chriswilliams
B3
Passat model: b5

Saggy leather door cards,

Post by chriswilliams »

Anyone had any success in adhering the leather back down on their door cards?

Granted the car is knocking on 20 years and it's to be expected that some elements of the car wear and degrade with time. Problem is finding a nice set of door cards without this issue is going to be difficult (I've looked, and I'm not after someone selling me a set) and even if a good set is found how long would it last, the newest variant of the car is now about 13+ years old.

I have acquired another set of saggy leather door cards, depending on how you look at it either very cheap or free with an interior.

I have removed a leather insert from the card using a sharp chisel and swift knock to brake off the tops of the plastic welds, obviously I will have to devise a way to re-bond it back on.

Pealing the leather back is easy enough although the run of stitching is firmly attached and so left it that way. It's the foam scrim has seems to of failed, not such that it has gone sticky and binds together and rubs away, more that it has delaminated from itself, there is foam stuck to the moulding as well as the leather still, I'm dubious as to whether simply applying contact adhesive will cut the cheese, but then what is there to lose, even if it lasts a few years its better than how it is now. I'm not keen on removing what scrim there is as that gets super messy and then I'll have to try and stick on new scrim.... :-q

So back to the original question before I started waffling, has anyone tried and succeeded, I'm even interested in failed attempts.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login