What service items needed when turbo removed for cleaning?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dvhttn
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 PD130 Sport

What service items needed when turbo removed for cleaning?

Post by dvhttn »

As per the subject. As I now have access to another car at some stage over the winter I'm going to take the turbo off the Passat to clean out the VNT mechanism. Mainly as most of its miles are around Cornwall's roads so it hardly ever gets a good thrash, and it's done 215K miles so about time … I've seen the how-tos etc but just wanted to check what gaskets etc I should get before I tackle the job so that I'm not 'caught short', so to speak. I intend to take the turbo off with the manifold as well - heard that it's easier this way and I may as well clean out/check as much as I can whilst I'm in there. Oh, and I'll take the cat pipe off as well, which may well go back on with less 'innards' than when taken off .. So exhaust gaskets in the mix as well?

On the exhaust gasket side, are they Passat specific or will any exhaust gasket fit?

Will probably replace the vacuum hoses as well (EGR delete plus vac. hose simplification already done) so want a recommendation to good quality hose that has fairly thick walls and doesn't 'flop' when exposed to higher temps.

Ta
-----
Dave
Carpe diem ....

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login