Oil leak from rear of head

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

morgz84
Passat model: B5.5

Oil leak from rear of head

Post by morgz84 »

The car is a relatively rare 2.0 20V ALT petrol engine Passat.

I had a bit of a difficult time recently changing the chain tensioner. The main problem was, lack of documentation anywhere about it. Plenty of Youtube videos on 1.8T or TDI, but none for my engine. It turned out my engine has some massive differences in the job compared to the 1.8T, for example, the camshaft bearings are all part of a large rectangular casting, which had me confused for ages.

At one point during the tensioner job, I tried to get the VVT cam adjuster out. It's three M6 bolts in the back of the head. It turned out I didn't need to remove it after all, but I think I have damaged the gasket trying to pry it (gently) with a screwdriver.

I now have a rather severe oil leak at the back of the head. Such that I get the OIL PRESSURE STOP message without any prior warning. Have put in over 2 litres of cheap Tesco 5W40 in about a week. I have been only driving short distances and keeping oil in the car.

The oil leak appears to be coming from the coolant flange, which does not make sense. It's very difficult to feel around in there and obviously I can only do it when the engine is cold. But the flange is immediately below the cam adjuster so it seems only logical that it is leaking oil from a damaged cam adjuster gasket. Just hope I haven't foobar'ed the device itself because they are expensive, even the repair kits.
I have not found much information about this particular cam adjuster online. There was a thread on VWAudi forum about it, but was inconclusive. From what little information I have gleaned, you just undo the three bolts on the housing, and it just pulls away. However, when I tried before, there was nothing I could do to budge it.

Any ideas anyone?
Chris.

3B6 2003 S Estate with 2.0 petrol ALT engine.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login