Ouick oil question / advice

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Deadcentre
still on the production line

Ouick oil question / advice

Post by Deadcentre »

Hello all,

I'll be brief.....

THE CAR:
2005 Passat tdi AWX with 125k miles. Well looked afterr, driven with mechanical sympathy and serviced every 8-10k miles constantly with Quantum 5w 40 (505.01 I believe). I plan to carry on with this mileage between oil changes regardless of oil used (see below).

THE QUESTION:
Went to TPS yesterday and bought filters etc for service. They had the Quantum Longlife 3 507.00 (5w 30 grade) for a very good price. Having read some of the very long past posts on the subject of the 507.00 vs 505.01 (which I'm not trying to rehash!), I bought the Longlife oil. :D

Will, in anyone's opinion, changing to the 5w30 from longstanding use of a 5w40 have any negative affect at all on my engine considering its age and inevitable wear levels at current mileage? Are there any benefits at all (cost was not a factor in this decision) in using a 5w 30 over the 5w 40 at all or even vice versa? Various sites suggest the slightly thicker oil film at higher temperatures is beneficial for cam wear in my engine.

Looking to keep this car running as sweet as it is for a good while longer and will gladly pay a small premium to put q better quality oil in over the same period if it helps (so long as it helps!). Value the opinions on this forum and thanks in advance.

All the best.

Ste

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login