Ouick oil question / advice

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Deadcentre
still on the production line

Ouick oil question / advice

Post by Deadcentre » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:02 am

Hello all,

I'll be brief.....

THE CAR:
2005 Passat tdi AWX with 125k miles. Well looked afterr, driven with mechanical sympathy and serviced every 8-10k miles constantly with Quantum 5w 40 (505.01 I believe). I plan to carry on with this mileage between oil changes regardless of oil used (see below).

THE QUESTION:
Went to TPS yesterday and bought filters etc for service. They had the Quantum Longlife 3 507.00 (5w 30 grade) for a very good price. Having read some of the very long past posts on the subject of the 507.00 vs 505.01 (which I'm not trying to rehash!), I bought the Longlife oil. :D

Will, in anyone's opinion, changing to the 5w30 from longstanding use of a 5w40 have any negative affect at all on my engine considering its age and inevitable wear levels at current mileage? Are there any benefits at all (cost was not a factor in this decision) in using a 5w 30 over the 5w 40 at all or even vice versa? Various sites suggest the slightly thicker oil film at higher temperatures is beneficial for cam wear in my engine.

Looking to keep this car running as sweet as it is for a good while longer and will gladly pay a small premium to put q better quality oil in over the same period if it helps (so long as it helps!). Value the opinions on this forum and thanks in advance.

All the best.

Ste

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Ouick oil question / advice

Post by Gazwould » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 am

A thinner grade viscosity doesn't negate protection , oil is all about basestocks and additive package .

The two grades will be close in centiStokes anyway think of them as a thin 40 and a thick 30.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78430

Suplement to this is a LongLife oil contains more detergents and dispersants .

The detergents have a polar head with a hydrocarbon tail , the polar head attaches to the metal surface and keeps away contaminants away.

With the dispersants it's the other way around , the polar head likes contaminants so bonds to it and the hydrocarbon tail likes oil thus keeping the contamintes in suspension .

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

Deadcentre
still on the production line

Re: Ouick oil question / advice

Post by Deadcentre » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks Gazwould,

Have just read that thread you referenced now (took two cups of tea mind!!).

In summary it looks like using the 507.00 on the yearly / 10k mile oil changes gives the best of both worlds which is what I do regardless of oil used anyway. Any minor negatives (if they exist) are probably offset by driving sensibly ie. Not thrashing it when stone cold and giving it a blast now and then when fully warmed etc. The oil itself was £14 plus VAT from TPS yesterday so hopefully win win for me.

Cheers.

Ste