Turbo failure after remap?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

Turbo failure after remap?

Post by alpenweiss2 »

We have a 1999 1.9tdi 110 BHP Passat estates with 170,000 on the clock. About a year ago I fitted a Blacksmoke chipped ECU to give the car a bit more oomph! We have had 10,000 of trouble free motoring until recenty when the car repeatedly started going into limp mode. The garage here in France (UK mechanic) have said the turbo is beyond cleaning. The original plan was to remove it, strip it down, clean and rebuild. Unfortunately the garage have rung me today to say the turbo failed on a test drive. They said it could possibly be the strain of the remapped ECU which is running about 140BHP. As far as I am aware the 130BHP Passats have the same turbo as the 110BHP so I can't see this being a problem. They have said the only option is to fit a refurbished Garret turbo which they can get for £350. Any thoughts people. Bit fed up as we have just spent €620 on the car on other issues.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login