None/intermittent boost!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Conneh
still on the production line
Passat model: B5

None/intermittent boost!

Post by Conneh »

Hello!

Sorry to bore you all with my first post being a problem.

Car is question is a 51 Plate B5.5 PD130 on 121k miles. Purchased it about 10 months ago to haul the dogs around, it’s never had any problems and has been a dream to own and drive - until yesterday.

It’s currently not boosting, or boosting intermittently at weird revs (coming on boost around 3k rpm sometimes). It’s kind of in limp mode, but no dash lights, revs freely and will pick up speed.

Hooked it up to the OBD today at the garage and it threw up 2 faults.

MAF Sensor
Turbo Deviation (assumed caused by the MAF)

Replaced the MAF, checked the vacuum on the pipes, looked in EGR (fairly clean to be fair, bit oily) and popped the MAP sensor out (need to get some electrical cleaner tomorrow).

The above didn’t rectify the problem, where too next? I have receipts from the previous owner for a new turbo system from VW at about 105k miles (the cost is was eye watering) so I don’t think it’s sticky vanes.

Following the replacement of the MAF the OBD threw up a coolant sensor issue - not sure this would be causing it though.

Any suggestions welcome - hopefully it’s just the continually hot weather!

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login