Slight vibration at idle, occasional judder when pulling away

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

CameraJack
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Slight vibration at idle, occasional judder when pulling away

Post by CameraJack »

Hi guys,

2002 PD130 sport estate, ~180k miles

I have a suspicion that this might all be DMF related but I'm really hoping I can get another year or so out of the car before I need to change the clutch. Not enough pennies to pay someone else to do it so I'd be doing it on my own, and I've not done a clutch before.

So, at idle there's a very slight vibration sound. You can't feel it but you can hear it - it sounds like something engine related barely touching the firewall. If you add even 200rpm with the throttle it disappears. I thought it might be the exhaust touching something but I made up a bracket to hold it to the gearbox and nothing changed. I'm hoping that this might be related to engine mounts, does anyone have any ideas?

Second issue is occasional shuddering when pulling away in first. It used to only do this very rarely on cold mornings, and then it would disappear after a couple of junctions. Last weekend I took the other half and her Mum to the Stones in Cardiff, and traffic was horrendous. With the fairly warm weather and the constant stop-start the shuddering started happening every time I pulled away and quite badly. This has since mostly disappeared again and gone back to normal, but occasionally shudders every now and again.

I'm hoping that if it is the DMF, I can get some more life out of it with new engine mounts. If this doesn't sound DMF related, does anyone have any better ideas? Also possibly related - there seems to be a lot of "slack" in the driveline that I don't remember always being there. You take your foot off the throttle and there's a slight lurch a moment later as the engine braking kicks in. This is what makes me think engine mounts but I could be wrong.

If I am going to go down the engine mount route, are the £70-80/ea ones worth the extra money over the £20-30/ea or even the £50/ea ones? We've just bought our first house so obviously I don't want to be spending more than I need to, but if the cheap ones are trash then obviously it's worth it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login