Solid Flywheel and Gearbox Issues

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

grandmasterorge
B1
Passat model: B5

Solid Flywheel and Gearbox Issues

Post by grandmasterorge »

Hi All,

I've been driving my 01 Passat PD130 AWX for 4 years or so now, and in that time I've had to put 2 x gearboxes in it and the most recent one has just failed. The most recent one was a scrapyard box for £90 or so and I'm aware that it's a bit of a lottery with what you are buying but it seems excessive to me.

Previous to me buying the car it has had the dual mass flywheel replaced with a solid flywheel, the mechanic suspects this is causing the gearbox premature failure issues.

My question is, does anyone on here have experience of this? Have I been unlucky or is this just going to continue occurring with a solid flywheel? I have looked into refitting the original setup, ECP want around £400 for clutch kit and dual mass flywheel (with some hefty discount codes, £600 previously), so it's a considerable expense on top of the cost of a box and labour on a car which has done 215,000 miles and is 17 years old.

Any advice appreciated.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login