Front end prang ....

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dvhttn
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 PD130 Sport

Front end prang ....

Post by dvhttn »

It wasn't me Guv .... the wife actually. She went to go out (it was dark and raining - part of her excuse) and when she put it in neutral before starting the car rolled forward, as I hadn't put the handbrake on the night before (ALWAYS leave it in gear). By the time she noticed she was moving she'd hit the neighbours car side-on on the rear panel, shunted it into the wall it was parked beside which then demolished said wall. Lucky we have fully comp. insurance and the neighbours have been really good about it- it helps they're retired and have two cars. Anyway ....

.... to the crux of the problems. I now need new headlights, as one was broken and both were on their last legs (17 years old). I've seen no reason not to get Depo ones from Fleabay. But has anyone seen them cheaper than the £100 (ish) they are on there?

I took the bumper part way off on the drivers side where the impact was as that corner had popped out slightly. Got it secured and so it doesn't look too bad until I can fix it but I need a new slam panel and the grill bracket (so one of these .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Slam-Pa ... SwjRpZUqIl ..... and one of these .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-B5 ... Swgv5ZU4Wq ....). Both are cracked in places and the drivers side has been forced down, and stressed beyond its limits, by the bonnet being dented. Oh I'll need one of them as well, but I can get away with using a hammer on it for now.

Looking online it looks like replacing the slam panel may be a bit fiddly but I may be able to get away without disconnecting the AC and/or coolant at all. Does that sound right or should I make sure I have enough coolant for a refill?

But as I'll need a few other bits does anyone have a parts diagram of the front end I can peruse to help me so I can search by part numbers? That'll also help when asking VW for prices as well. I know that other pieces I'll need are the brackets on the body that the bumper clips into on either side. One was broken and both are worn anyway.

Advice/diagrams much appreciated!
-----
Dave
Carpe diem ....

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login