Bizarre Wipers Problem

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

TigerBoo
Passat model: B5 TDi110 Estate

Bizarre Wipers Problem

Post by TigerBoo »

Hi all,

Got a B5 ('99) estate, 110ps TDi (AFN) Sport. The windscreen wipers have been intermittently failing to operate for a while, and they've never worked in high-speed mode since I bought the car. Last time it was at the mechanic he told me the problem was the wiper motor, and advised that if they stopped in the meantime I could whack the motor with a metal object to "shock" it, which has done the trick when required.

The battery's getting weak so I replaced it and tried to replace the wiper motor while I was there. Unfortunately I got sent the wrong replacement motor so had to put the old one back in. I've also replaced the bonnet latch mechanism recently in case that's relevant.

Here's the problem: now the front wiper motor doesn't activate at all. But also, if I try to use the window washer, the rear wiper activates instead! The rear wiper also operates on its normal switch position, but the rear washer doesn't seem to be working at all now either. (There's plenty of washer fluid.)

What the hell could I have disturbed to cause this? Or could it be that the switch is faulty and always has been? I'm baffled...

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login