B5.5 1.9TDi AWX steering woes

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

pete69zx
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

B5.5 1.9TDi AWX steering woes

Post by pete69zx »

So, I have some steering issues and have had the following changed as either preventative maintenance or also trying to get the bottom of what is causing the steering issues...

Changed...
All front arm setup, changed over to Meyle HD (including ARB connections, and also Sport model track rod ends)
QH inner tie rod
New set of wheels & tyres (front 8.5J, rear 9.5J)
Cheap eBay coil over kit (rear wound all the way down & fronts slightly higher than the rear)

The issue has been apparent even before changing any items, just not quite as pronounced...

I have had the car tracked several times & still the same fault occurs...

So, down to the actual fault/issue that is plaguing my life so badly now!

When the tracking/wheel alignment has been performed, the steering starts off sitting bang on, then after a few corners while the car is in motion, it will have dropped to one side. So I took it straight back to get re=tracked again, this time they used a laser alignment, rather than the standard manual type. It was a mile out. So the technician changed everything to be within spec. I then go for a short drive, and now the steering wheel sits to the left, quite a lot. I take it back & he then checks again with the manual alignment setup (as a bit quicker than putting all the 4 wheel alignment laser stuff back 0n ) and it's a mile out. So he then sets it all back to being correct and now the steering isn't quite as badly sitting to the left, but it just feels as if something isnt quite right. Well, I know its not quite right as the car doesn't drive well or corner well.

Nothing appears to be loose from what has been checked over.

I have read about the 3 bolts that hold the steering rack in place & told them about this, They said they dint want yo take that kind of job on. None of this is me slagging them off as I told them the car has steering issues and im trying to get to the bottom of it by lastly replacing both inner tie rods, which hasn't made any difference.

Has anyone else experienced an issues like this?

Could it be the rack is loose? But there is no visual or audible clue that anything whatsoever is loose, its just the readings on the machine and the way car drives each time its been tracked up.

TBH, It's really starting to wee me off as Ive thrown loads of money at it & it's not sorted (all my choice of parts, not anyone elses)

Cheers,
Pete

Yes, i installed the coilovers myself, but all the arm setup has been changed by an ex Audi technician that has his own garage & i trust him to have done it correctly.

These issues were here prior to getting those items changed, just it wasn't quite as bad after all the arms had been changed, just now its worse than ever after changing the inner tie roads and having it tracked 3 times using 2 different methods.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login