Fuel pump control module issues

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

michaelmacd
Passat model: b5.5

Fuel pump control module issues

Post by michaelmacd »

My 02 1.9tdi avb engine passat died the other week and had to be towed home. I didn't have a clue where to start so went to the fuel pump and tested it. Seems to be working with the key turned although it doesn't always make the sound when turning the ignition. I spent a few hours looking for other issues, tested every fuse, and every relay both in the fuse/relay boards and also in with the ECU.

I wasnt getting any codes on my Vgate to start off with. My brother pulled a few with Delphi which were then cleared and he got the car to start using easy start and then all seemed well...until monday morning came and 16 miles later on my way to work it died again.

Today I tested all sides of the fuel filter and also at the pump behind the engine and all is well with fuel getting through. After a lot of messing about and cranking it eventually fired up and seems to be running fine again so checked the codes on vgate which is all I now have access too as my brother doesn't live close, and I am now getting:

"00476 - 049 KWP1281. Control module for fuel pump (J538) Static - No communication"

I cant find anything meaningful online about this and all the threads I have been able to find have there car running fine and not cutting out. I have ordered a second hand fuel pump a few days ago as I found one cheap enough I thought I could take a punt on, but I am not sure this will cure this issue?

I cleared the code and fired the engine up for 5 minutes then checked again and it was back, so guessing this is my issue. If there is anyone out there who has dealt with this issue before I would love to find out how you fixed it as at the moment I am at a loss.

Thanks, Michael

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login