help getting a b5 / a4 tdi with high mileage

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

kaneelschep
B1
Passat model: B5.5 96kw 4M

help getting a b5 / a4 tdi with high mileage

Post by kaneelschep »

Hi all.

I am in a bit of a pickle.
My Dutch Volvo 850 t5 on lpg, since me being dutch and all, just ate an exhaust valve and wont be going anywhere soon. Since it also needs a new complete clutch, frame rubbers, evap, etc its just to expensive to repair immediately..
So it can rest in front of the house for now.

Meanwhile I need something else. Something very reliable and very fuel efficient.
My family basicly always drove vag diesel and tdi's so I like them a lot. We had an 84 passat diesel. an 89 td passat. a 94 passat tdi till 700000km and an a6 tdi v6 132kw quattro. All bought over 200000kms and all did high mileages.

My eye fell on getting a b5 or a4.
So I spend the last week reading all about them.

I guess the 81kw a4/b5 is always an AFN.
Now I am looking at the market. And there basicly isnt one affordable left with under 350000kms.
So I looked at newer ones. And same goes for them. Lots of kms!
I read the 85kw AJM is not a very reliable engine. lots of headgaskets and flywheels. Cant find a lot about the ATJ.
All a4 seem to be AJM. And I only found one passat ATJ. wich was a 5 speed though.. 400000kms.. Needs new belts. been in the family for 14 years. Only 1100 euro.
The 96kw AVF or AWX seem like good engines. But they come with a price. Well at 2000 euro
Didnt really look at the 74 kw actually.. Heard it had lots of clutch issues.

So for someone who doesnt want to spend a lot and wants to keep part prices down. Wich one whould I go for to get a lot more kms out of a tdi?
I am guessing the 81kw..?

I also have to say I drive a lot of long distances, since my wife's homecountry is 1400km away. And we go there a lot.
Also with a 1500kilo trailer. And germany and austria have some serious hills in their highways.
Do I need the higher torque? Is it worth the higher parts prices? I read an afn chips well to 300nm.. Also on high mileage?

Thanks a lot!

This topic has 28 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login