A Little help with a few faults..

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

MiniMental
B7
Passat model: B5.5 PD175 5-Spd

A Little help with a few faults..

Post by MiniMental »

Howdy boys n gals,

I'm having a few issues with some fault codes which is would like to get to the bottom of.. Heres the codes which I suspect are related. The first one causes ESP light to come on and stay on until ignition is turned off.

1. 18265 - P1857 Load Signal Error Message from ECU
2. 00526 - Brake Light Switch F - Open Circuit
3. 16685 - P0301 Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

The misfire I get on cold start if the car has been stood long enough to go completely cool.. I get a LOT of whitey grey sticky smoke (only way I can describe it) and I cant rev the car for at least 5-10 mins usually when this happens. It doesn't happen every time and sometimes are worse than others..

When this does happen, its a very bad misfire, car shakes violently and has absolutely no power to move, barley even ticks over.. I think I have ruled out turbo, it doesn't use the turbo when idling for a start and you can hear it spool up when you press the pedal even when misfiring..

Injector loom was replaced for a genuine one in December from TPS, unless I got a dud, can't see it being this. Didt touch it when I did camshaft so unsure...

When the car is warmed up, ALL symptoms of this misfire vanish except a slight vibration if I jump on the pedal in a high gear below 1750rpm... That clears after 1800-1850rpm.

Any help greatly appreciated. It had a new Brake light switch in 2014 as the brake lights didn't come on until the pedal was halfway down... they seem to come on as usual at present so don't know whats going on there...

I'm also getting a lot of smoke above 3200rpm when I boot it, enough that I sometimes get headlights flashed at me from behind and it does leave quite a visible trail in my rearview when the light is right to see it...

Cheers
Aidan
2005 B5.5 S PD175 1.9TDi Wagon... I Love it...
Labour of love...

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login