1.9 tdi afn down on power?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

1.9 tdi afn down on power?

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Hello all

For several weeks now I have been having a problem with our 1999 Passat Tdi 110 bhp. It has covered 152,000 miles and recently seems to have lost power right through the rev range? We live over in France so finding a cheap VAG garage that speak any English is tough!!

We took the car recently to an Irish guy recommended to us and he connected up his laptop but could not get any fault codes?

A couple of times the car has gone into limp mode but generally when it is first started up, not when being put under load.

The guy who looked at it said it could be a sticking vanes in the turbo and said the only reliable cure was to remove, dismantle, clean and rebuild the turbo (potentially costly!!). I' m not so sure from what I have read on here. I read that a faulty MAF sensor can give reduced power and increased fuel consumption and sometimes doesn't give a fault code?

Any thoughts people?
Also I was chatting to the Irish guy about getting the ECU chipped, so he did the temporary 'Evry' mod to illustrate how the car would drive with extra power. It did go much better, but only about the same as it ran before I had the power loss issues with it? He removed the mod afterwards and to be honest it drives like it has lost about 20 to 30 BHP

This topic has 19 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login