Help with EGR fault code removal

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Mr TDI
B1

Help with EGR fault code removal

Post by Mr TDI » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 pm

My wife has a 2005 1.9 tdi 130, I have removed and cleaned the EGR and inlet manifold. I blanked of the exhaust return pipe, as I have done with my own passat. The problem is because it is a newer model than mine it is registering a fault and the engine managment light is on. I have searched the forum for the info I need but cannot find it, so can anyone help. What I wondered is if I get the fault code reset will it keep coming back, or is there any way of turning it off. Also is there anyone locally in the west midlands by birmingham who can read and reset these codes. I really don't want to remove the blanking plates as the egr and the manifold were mega gunged up.

Cheers Mark
1.9 TDI PD 130 remapped to 172bhp
18" A8's in white
Lowered 50mm
Debadged grill

dave_1
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 Tdi 130Bhp

Re: Help with EGR fault code removal

Post by dave_1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi
It will keep coming back as the system can see there is a problem with the egr valve flow or lack of it
Dave
vag-Tacho 2.5 ,Vag-com , Sykes pickavant ACR4 , Elsawin ,ETKA, Key coding ,Servicing, Repairs,Autodata,Vivid,Damage free car opening in east sussex

adamss24
UKPassat's Possie

Post by adamss24 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:02 pm

dave_1 wrote:Hi
It will keep coming back as the system can see there is a problem with the egr valve flow or lack of it
Dave
You could fit an earlier ECU EDC15 from the PD 130 engine and turn it down with Vag-com or blank- it off...You will need the pin code of your cluster so you could program the "new" ECU to the engine...The newer EDC16 Bosch ECU cannot/wont let you turn the EGR down...the old EDC15 will ! It will still register a fault if you blank the EGR but wont trigger the emission light !

Mr TDI
B1

Post by Mr TDI » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Cheers for the advice, this must be the ecu that I have on my passat cos it's nearly 8 years old and I have not expierenced the engine management light coming on. This has given me food for thought, as I don't fancy having to keep cleaning the egr and manifold.

Spoke to a bloke today at a garage which can do diagnostics, he said that large amounts of people were blanking off the egr's, which went against car manufacturers trying to reduce the emmisions, hence the reason now why the newer models prevent you from doing this type of thing.

Thanks
Mark :D
18" A8's in white
Lowered 50mm
Debadged grill

fluke
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 TDI Sport

Post by fluke » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Mr TDI wrote:Cheers for the advice, this must be the ecu that I have on my passat cos it's nearly 8 years old and I have not expierenced the engine management light coming on. This has given me food for thought, as I don't fancy having to keep cleaning the egr and manifold.

Spoke to a bloke today at a garage which can do diagnostics, he said that large amounts of people were blanking off the egr's, which went against car manufacturers trying to reduce the emmisions, hence the reason now why the newer models prevent you from doing this type of thing.

Thanks
Mark :D
Completely off topic.

Were you anywhere near Heathrow T5 this morning ???

Assuming you have a blue estate with the white 18's on.
Dave

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
======
Cooper B5.5TDI wrote:I never rush a deep one....but she's handled about 14 inches so far with success

Mr TDI
B1

Post by Mr TDI » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 am

Sorry bud that wasn't me as mine is a saloon, there is some mention of a blue estate with white wheels in the SPOTTED section.

Cheers Mark
18" A8's in white
Lowered 50mm
Debadged grill

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 pm

The newer models monitor the exhaust gas and thats how it knows you have blanked it off. The only way is to get it mapped out. The reason why it was so gunked up is that the newer modles run up to 50% exhaust gas at low load.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130
Re-mapped at THS Performance