Timing belt worries!!!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

andpand
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5 SE

Timing belt worries!!!

Post by andpand »

Hi all I was having a tinker on my Passat b5.5s 2.0 8v azm motor today just checking the breather pipes and oil level and I thought id just have a look at the condition of the timing belt and now I wish I didn't!!!
I took the cover off to find a very worn glossy looking belt that appears to be very very loose...
Im not sure how much play they are supposed to have but im sure its not that much I can slide the belt along the top pully!!! :0 :0 :0
So I guess what im getting to is how hard is it to change the belts/tensioners on these engines ??
Iv seen a few videos on the good old youtube and it seems straight forward but has anyone do one?? Is there anything I should know anything hints or tips are more than welcome....

Iv only had it about 3 weeks and the poor thing has not been looked after at all although I don't think my wife being diverted off the m6 and taking off the down pipe from the flexi after running over a log in the road after taking it to the lake district the day after I bought it helped matters... :((
Last edited by andpand on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login