Problems With Vag Tacho 2.5 Key Programing

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

chimp
B1

Problems With Vag Tacho 2.5 Key Programing

Post by chimp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi all

I have vag tacho 2.5 and want to program a spare key as the car only came with one but I have been having some problems.

I connect the laptop to the car and connect to the ECU with the program set to VDO New. It connects OK and reads the PIN no problems. When I try to program my new it says new 1 key programed then says total number of keys 00 then wipes all the keys and the car will not start. I then programed my old key with no problems but the new key I got off ebay will not program and every time I try it, it just wipes the other key out of the ECU.

I am thinking the key is wrong or shot but as I have never done this before I am after some help.

Thanks
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130
Re-mapped at THS Performance

chimp
B1

Re: Problems With Vag Tacho 2.5 Key Programing

Post by chimp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Just got home as I was borrowing a mates laptop for the job and double checked the modle on both kays is the same and my old key has a W on the blade and so did the new key untill I changed the blade for the one I got cut.

Just as a side note I could not get the remote locking to work from the new key but this might just have been me following the manual wrong.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:21 pm

With some reading on the interweb I think I may have found the answer.

If my car (or more important the car my new key was used in) is IMMO 3 then once a new key is added it locks the chip in the key so it can not be coded to another car. This means I need a new transponder for my key which I have seen on ebay for £6.95.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130

RUM4MO
B7

Post by RUM4MO » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Yes this seems to be the usual outcome when trying to recode or re-assign used keys - I'm afraid that I've bought two new but used keys - you can usually tell if they have been used and refitted with a new blade as the replacement blades normally do not have any marking on the upper end of the blades - I should really buy a couple of new transponders soon now that I have found an online seller. Its still cheaper than buying from VW though!

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I have ordered a new transponder now for £6.95 this did not seam too pricey.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Got my new transponder key bit and still having problems. I can now program the car to use either the new or the old key but not both. Also if I don't sellect erase old keys the imobliser light on the dash fllashes all the time even when the cars starts an runs as normal.

Now I have the pin can I use vag com to add keys??
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130