Turbo Pipe?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

fullerlee2
still on the production line

Turbo Pipe?

Post by fullerlee2 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:50 am

I've got a 2001 1.9 TDI 130.

I'm experiencing what seems to be a leaky turbo system. I feel the turbo up to around 2.5-3k, then it drops to nothing and I basically have no power. If I pull off the throttle a bit I get a slight increase in power. To me, it feels like the turbo is ok until it is at full spool, after which the pressure is too high and is leaking somewhere.

It looks like the previous owner had problems with the undertray and they drilled self tappers into a large rectangular pipe towards the front of the car. I'm sure I've felt and heard air leaking from this and that it's part of the turbo system.

My local mechanic got it up onto a ramp, I showed him where I though the leak was coming from, and he said it's just structural and not meant to be air tight. I'm not a mechanic and couldn't really argue, but I think he's wrong.

Can anyone give any insight into what this pipe is? I can take a pic if neccessary, but it's at the garage at the moment.

Thanks,

Lee

carmageddon
B6
Passat model: b5 sport,b3gt16v

Re: Turbo Pipe?

Post by carmageddon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:28 pm

does the pipe run across the front of the subframe coz if it does it is a boost pipe.pic's would help :)
Passat B5 Estate For Sale please call number above

fullerlee2

Post by fullerlee2 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:55 pm

carmageddon wrote:does the pipe run across the front of the subframe coz if it does it is a boost pipe.pic's would help :)
Yeah I think it does, I forgot to take a pic though (or am I looking at the subframe itself...). I've noticed that when I disconnect the pipe shown in the pic, power is significantly increased.

It looks like the pipe I've disconnected comes from the air filter, into the turbo.

Cheers
disconn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:51 pm

The pipe you disconnected looks like the breather from the cam cover to the intake.

If this gives you more power then you may have a blocked intake so ckeck the filter etc.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130
Re-mapped at THS Performance

chimp
B1

Post by chimp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm

If you disconnect that pipe i'm sure you would by pass the MAF so may be that is your problem (the MAF)
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130
Re-mapped at THS Performance

fullerlee2

Post by fullerlee2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:45 pm

chimp wrote:If you disconnect that pipe i'm sure you would by pass the MAF so may be that is your problem (the MAF)
I've tried disconnecting the MAF (that pipe above was still connected at the time) and it felt like I didn't get any boost at all.

I think the pipe I disconnected is the crankcase vent tube (CCV). Anyone know what the function of this is?