Lower Control Arms

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

lennymik
Passat model: B5 TDI Sport

Lower Control Arms

Post by lennymik »

So I've had the passat little over a couple of weeks and its time to start stripping, the drivers side LCA is knocking and I would assume that the passenger side is not much further behind.

I'm intending to replace the lowers asap and follow up with the uppers - probably after christmas. With having plans to lower the car, I've been looking into arm/bush upgrades to see whats going to be best for me.

Google has provided me with american forum ideas - polybushing, replacing existing bushes with Audi TT/Golf R32 bushes, only the rear bushes can be directly replaced with TT/R32's directly, the fronts require sleeve adaption.

However the more and more I think about it i've had an idea and was looking advice; most a4/a6/passat suspension components are interchangeable given they all share the same platform.

A standard 2.5 v6 tdi (163ps) passat has an increased kerb weight of 68kg over the 1.9 tdi sport. Now i would assume that the arm bushings would be stiffer and more dense in the v6 to cope with the weight increase - so that, under normal circumstances, it would keep the same ride quality as the 1.9 and most likely have a similar life span.

Now if this were the case and the v6 arms could be fitted to the 1.9 it should translate to a slightly stiffer ride and increased life span of the bushes themselves and would over all be a benefit especially when altering the ride height.

Has anyone ever tried/considered trying this at any point or is anyone able to confirm if there is any difference in the bush structures?

If its not going to be of any real benefit does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login