Wheel Spacers

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

MichaelMLFC92
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Wheel Spacers

Post by MichaelMLFC92 »

Hello, bought some wheels today and didn't consider the offset so they rub on stuff at the front and are very very close at the rear. I want to get some 20mm spacers. Correct me if this is a stupid idea and if anything I say is wrong.

The new wheels are et54 and I believe my stock wheels are et39 which makes the inside of the new wheel 15mm further in. The new wheels are also 20mm wider so that makes the inside another 10mm further in, making the new inside a total of 25mm closer to the suspensioney parts than before.

Due to said 20mm width increase and the increased offset, the outside of the new wheel is 5mm further in than the outside of my old wheels.

Therefore if I get some 20mm spacers, the clearance issues on the inside, will, I believe, be solved and the outside of the new wheels will be 15mm further out than the old wheels are atm.

The clearance on the inside should be fine, I'm wondering about the outside.

Going by experience, is the outer face of a stock wheel able to be 15mm further out without sticking out of the arch too much or causing other problems?

Also, as an aside, what's better? spacers you bolt to the hubs and then bolt your wheels to them, or spacers with plain holes and long bolts?

As always, thanks in advance if you've bothered to read all of my drivel.

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login