Just purchased our first B5 Passat!!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

Just purchased our first B5 Passat!!

Post by alpenweiss2 »

Last weekend we picked up a 1999 B5 Passat estate, 110 BHP SE with FSH, only 119,820 miles from new and in excellent condition. Previous owner was a retired dentist who had owned the car for ten years and prior to that his best friend had owned the car!!

I will post up some pictures when I get a chance! The car has climatronic, but only standard 15" steel wheels with trims :cry:

At some point I will fit some 16" Audi alloys (once they have been refurbed) I think. Virtually everything on the car works as it should and it drives lovely with no clonks or noises. It really is a car that has been cared for very well.

There are just a couple of things which the seller mentioned to me.

Firstly the passenger side courtesy light and sill light don't come on when the passenger door is opened? The seller seemed to suggest it is some sort of faulty switch in the passenger door?

Secondly with the central locking, one press of the unlock button opens the drivers door only and two presses opens all the doors?? Is this normal? I think I read somewhere that the central locking can be programmed to work this way by the main dealer?

The car is still fitted with the standard Gamma radio and boot mounted 6 disc CD changer, which all works well. However we would like to fit a more up to date DAB radio with iphone connectivity/USB/MP3. Is it straightforward to fit a new head unit and can we keep the CD changer with a new head unit?

Also the girlfriend seems to have activated some sort of traffic announcement which interrupts radio and CD playback all the time. How the hell do you turn this off? The manual says it can be turned off permanently, but then doesn't explain how to do it????

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login