slow 1.8T, not N75

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

windsurferluke

slow 1.8T, not N75

Post by windsurferluke »

Hello, I have been searching posts for a few days now and have learnt alot about how these 1.8T motors control boost. I have just bought a 1998 Passat Sport for my wife and am lucky enough to allready have a 2000 1.8T Passat SE (estate) which is absolutly faultless and will be refered to as my 2000.

The one I just bought has a couple of issues, the main one being is its not as quick as mine. It is flat all the way through the rev range where my 2000 has a nice surge of power through the midrange. It also has no turbo woosh/whistle which my 2000 has. There is no smoke from the exhaust, it idle's fine, I just had the oil, filter, fuel filter changed and plugs checked. I tried the N75 off my 2000 which made no difference.

Simply a boost leak? Although I thought I felt/heard pressure escaping when I took the hose off the N75
Nackered Cat blocking the exhaust causing the turbo not to spool?
Wastegate, but if the N75 is working would'nt it still boost?
The temp gauge dosen't get to 90 quite as quick as my 2000 (prob stuck thermostat) but not sure this is the prob as it does get to 90?
There is also a metalic rattle which appear's to be coming from the airbox side near the back of the engine. Might be relavent.

Rant over, any pointers.

Thanks. Luke

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login