I.C.E. - Intermittent problem on Radio -

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dithane
B1

I.C.E. - Intermittent problem on Radio -

Post by Dithane »

Hi all ...

wonder if any ideas out there ..

the radio (Blaupunkt Ravenna RM168) .. has recently sprouted a rather unusual problem - well several actually... seems to have happened around the same time...

Can't really nail it down because it's intermittent :x

Main problem: When turn ignition on - radio comes on. OK. BUT recently - it turns off after about 6 seconds. Stays off for about 3 seconds, then turns back on for 6 again. And it will keep doing this on/off thing for a varying number of times. Sometimes it stops - sometimes not. It takes delicate timing to get to turn the thing off when its doing this.

When it turns off - it's like a "hard" turn-off (OK - cut the double-meanings lads! :roll: ) - as there is a loudish pop from the speakers. - Its not a clean, "soft", switch-off like normal turning-radio-off.

What has also happened -
is that the radio doesn't "talk" to the CD changer anymore (also a Blaupunkt - AO-3 I think .. 10 disc ). It "sees" it - coz the little icon lights up in the display. But when I switch Source (SRC) to the CD, the radio goes silent and display just shows "RADIO"

AND also...
the Remote Control (Infra Red, Blaupunkt also) fails to work.

This all seems to have happened around the same time.

(I'm tending to suspect the local dealer had some part in this as they did a job on the aircon last November - a job they made a bit of a bodge of - suspect they may have also pulled a wire somewhere.)

I have tried another Blaupunkt head unit and it does same stuff.

About two weeks ago, the Remote and the CD changer came to life - for about 20 minutes. Then nothing since.

Very perplexed by this ON for 6 seconds, OFF for 3 thing.

Seems to happen more when ign is on. Though think it has happened when turned radio on with IGN off.
[Edit] Yeah - it DOES happen with the ignition off! :roll: [/Edit]

All very unclear because of the intermittent nature of the fault.
Have messed about with wires on back of H/U to see if any loose connections - nothing obvious.

Could the car's CCU be involved?
Hardly the ignition switch - because of the 6sec/3sec timing ??
Could it be a CD changer fault - in the unit or the wiring? (Yes I will check it this weekend, when I get a moment!)

Phew.
Any ideas???
Last edited by Dithane on Wed May 09, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login