Losing Coolant

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

superbees
still on the production line
Passat model: b5

Losing Coolant

Post by superbees »

Hi
i brought a 1998 vw passat 1.9 tdi 110 bhp afn engine 120k miles about 2 months ago,i have done about 1000 miles in it but since ive had the car ive had to top up the coolant about 3 times so every 3 weeks it drops below the min mark on the expansion tank.
yesterday when i turned the engine off i could hear a noise of water swirling around so i lifted the bonnet and the noise was coming from the expansion tank i could see the water moving around in the expansion tank and the coolant was dripping out of the overflow outlet on the bottom of the expansion tank the water come to stop after 30 seconds and also stopped dripping about the same time so it appeared i had a build up of pressure in the expansion tank.
The car runs fine never overheats temp always sits at 90 expansion tank looks clean no sign of any oil,
So if anyone could give me any help or advice on this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login