Hello, newbie here with loads of B5 questions :)

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

voteforpedro

Hello, newbie here with loads of B5 questions :)

Post by voteforpedro »

I am 99.9% sure I want a B5 1.8T. I have loads of questions I would like answering before I buy. If you could help answer them all that would be great. :lol:

The lump:

- Should I be afraid of high miler 1.8Ts with a FVWSH?
- What's the highest amount of miles I should consider bearing in mind it's unlikely to see more than two years of driving with me? (I get bored quickly)
- What's the MPG like for city driving, motorway cruising at 70mph and motorway cruising at... erm... more than 70mph? (not that I'd do that of course...)
- Are there any common problems with the 1.8T I should look out for before buying or with the B5 in general?

Styling etc:

- Are B5.5 headlights a straight swap?
- Can I retrofit B5.5 lower grill vent fog lights?
- I would like to add the silver/chrome trim on the side window rubber - where are they on ETKA and are they a straight swap?
- Merc wheels are the same PCD, right? What about the centre bore and offset? Do they fit without the need for spacers?
- What size front discs does a 1.8T have? Can I fit 312mm discs with the same calipers and brackets to space the carrier out like on various other VAG cars?
- Is colour-coding the side skirts and front and rear valances a good idea or frowned upon in "the scene"?
- Are Audi A4 dashboards different? I like the wooden trim of the quattro/V5/V6 - will it swap in or are there B5 Passats with the wooden trim on the dashboard and door cards?

Finally, I've seen on Autotrader 1997-1998 Passat 1.8Ts with 110k miles and more for around £1k. Is this a good deal? How much would you pay?

I will probably think of more but if you kind folk could answer my questions that would be great. :)

One more thing - here is my inspiration:

Where can I find more pictures of this car?

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login