Alot of passat trouble please look

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Sleggeauto
still on the production line
Passat model: B5

Alot of passat trouble please look

Post by Sleggeauto »

Hello again members of ukpassats :-) Thank you for the help last time when I needed to replace my gearbox.!
Now, I have a some problems again and I hope you can help me understand them.

Lets start with my first car... Passat 1.9 TDI PD 116hk year 2000 (B5 sedan).

1. I have a whining sound coming from my engine which sounds like a broken turbo. But I doubt it is.
I replaced my turbo this very winter. If i leave the car overnight and then start it and press the throttle pedal immediatly then it sounds normal. The whining comes after 5 secs. So I am suspecting the vacuum pump may be the issue?

2. One day about a month ago my cars windows (especially my front window) started fogging up. This got worse every day. So after 3 days I called a mechanic and he told me that my heater core was probably leaking. So I went to a shop and bought some black liquid that was supposed to fix any leaks in the coolant system. And it became much better. However, after a day the fog is returning a little and now everything in the car has the stench of cinnamon after driving for 2 minutes. And believe me. It smells so intense and horrible..! So, do you think it is the core heater or can it be another thing? I've heard it is expensive as shiet to replace :-(

3. I have both a 2000 116hk passat and a 2004 130hk passat. However, the 2000 one is MUCH louder in it's "diesel engine noise" than the 130hp. Is this normal or could it indicate something wrong? Its just crackling louder. I have removed the EGR valve vacuum connectors but the valve is still there. Could this impact the sound?

4. The heater in the drivers seat isn't working. Is it easy to replace the heating element or isn't it worth the bother?

5. I had my vacuum lines for the EGR valve removed. However, my car had problems this winter staying at 90 C. Would this improve if I bought a proper EGR removal kit which removes the valve with a pipe? Or should I reconnect the vacuum lines to get the heat up?

6. I have sometimes (for the 3 years I have had the car) noticed that there are some noises coming out of my dash.. Like a valve or something opening/closing maybe? I don't know. And 1 year ago I detected an error code with vag-com on something with a climatronic valve i think.
Is this something worth checking out since I probably have to get the dash opened any way to change the heater core. Maybe there are more common faults inside the dash I should look for while having it open?

Now for my second car :-) The 2004 1.9 TDI PD 130hk 4-motion (B5.5 wagon).

1. My left front speaker is blown. I have a highline Passat. Do the highline have "upgraded" speakers or is it the same speaker as in the comfortline? My car originally came with a basic DIN-1 player.

2. My EGR valve is leaking a little oil. And my car sounds like I have a dump valve. Is it possible that this has a connection? I am suspecting a bad turbo, as I havent found any boost leaks.
Should I replace the expensive EGR valve any way? I have seen a lot of these 1.9s leaking a little oil from it.
I have the 2004 model (the first one with the easy connectors on all the boost tubes if I understand correctly). Is there any place where there usually is a boost leak or should I just replace the turbo and see if the sound persists?

3. It's hot outside these days, and my aircondition is of course broken. My workshop told me that the freongas is leaking out immediatly. Is there any common place on these cars where it might leak? Because they just told me that I had to buy a new A/C radiator.. (and they are guessing).

4. My 2004 Passat (B5.5) Has climatronic, single-DIN player, and the big empty space below as in the B5's. Is it easy to upgrade this car to double-DIN? Or does it have the same steel frame as the B5 making it a lot of work...
Because no website sells kits for these yet right?

5. Where is the grounding for the xenon lights located at? I suspect it might be bad, because I have to jock the light switch a couple times now before both xenons ignite.. I have replaced the bulbs too with super expensive 35w 6000k philips. I think it must be a bad ground connection somewhere as I simply refuse that both my xenon ballasts failed simultaneously.

6. There is probably something I have forgotten that will be added :-)

NOTE: I have checked both my cars for fault codes once every week for half a year now and none is detected.

I would be very thankful if you could answer some of my questions. I know that one or two of these is already answered too, but searching on this site is difficult since you get blocked for a few minutes after searching two times.
Thank you again in advance if you are able to help me. Many of these issues cost a lot of money so I want to be sure before I have to pay out big to fix them.

/Martin from Norway :-)

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot. Thank you very much dubber36 for the post from which I got my rear bumper cover :-) Looks superb!
Last edited by Sleggeauto on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login