Guide: Lock Carrier Service Position B5.5

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

chimp
B1

Guide: Lock Carrier Service Position B5.5

Post by chimp »

This is my first guide so I will apologise for my spelling and grammar now. I have not uploaded the photos yet but will do this ASAP.

Setting the lock carrier into the services position is required for a number of jobs so I decided to do a separate guide for this.

To give good all round access I drove the front wheels up on to two 4" concrete blocks as some access is required under the front of the car.

First job is to remove the grill from the bumper, to do this remove the two Torx bolts one from each side of the grill. Next remove the bonnet release pull tab from the bonnet catch by easing the grill forward hinging up the small metal clip and separating the two sides of the tab far enough to pull them off the metal pin. If should now be possible to pull the grill up and out from where it clips into the bumper.

Second is the removal of the bumper from the lock carrier. With the grill removed 4 more Torx bolts are uncovered remove these. From under the car remove the three half turn metal screws holding the under tray to the lock carrier. Remove the four screws from in side each wheel arch holding the arch liner to the bumper. The bumper should now pull forward off the mount. Disconnect any wiring from the bumper if you have it.

To support the lock carrier once it is unbolted you will need two lengths of M8 studding.

Remove the two 10mm hex bolts holding the power steering cooler to the lock carrier and let it hang. Remove the Torx bolts holding the bumper guides and washer bottle to the lock carrier. From under the car remove the single 10mm nut holding the under tray to the lock carrier. Remove one of the four M8 Torx bolts from each of the mounts where the lock carrier bolts to the chassis legs, screw your M8 studding in to the exposed hole on each side. Remove the two Torx bolts holding the lock carrier to the wings, one each side. Remove the remaining three bolts on each mount and the lock carrier should rest on the two lengths of stud.

It should now be possible to pull the lock carrier forward about 100mm, as you do this check for any wires or pipes pulling tight, I had to remove one cable tie.

To refit just reverse the procedure, I fiddled around for a while to get the lights to line up the best I could with the wings.
2001 1.9Tdi Sport PD130
Re-mapped at THS Performance