Smokey Passat 1.9 PD 130

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Cog Head
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Smokey Passat 1.9 PD 130

Post by Cog Head »

Hi, i bought a passat estate a couple of weeks ago, it was smoking due to a tracked intercooler, which ive replaced.

my problem is, the car still smokes, it lets out a good size cloud of blue (oil) smoke when i pull away from stationary steadily, but if i boot it, there is almost no smoke. also, when im cruising at motorway speeds, there is no smoke at all, the same applies when I'm giving it a kicking, no smoke at all.

but heres the weird bit... when im cruising at 30-40 mph in 4th, there is no smoke when im fully off the throttle coasting, theres no smoke at all, but when i apply a small amount of throttle, and get the turbo from negative pressure, to neutral or a small amount of positive pressure (take up the load of the car), i get plumes of blue smoke trailing behind me... could this be caused by too much crank case pressure?

the car has had a refurb turbo last year, so thats out of the question.

im thinking my crank pressure is too high and causing blow by of either the piston rings, the valve stem oil seals, or possibly forcing it through the turbo seals.

what are your thoughts?

i dont have a problem with striping engines down, so if it needs rings or it needs valve stem oil seals, its not a problem, but i don't want to throw money at it.

This topic has 45 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login