AWX 5.5. Driveshaft question.

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

The Monk
B4
Passat model: B5.5 AWX 1.9tdi

AWX 5.5. Driveshaft question.

Post by The Monk »

Hi guys,

Next month I'm going to be buying the full front arm kit from RK components because they all have play... I suspect a dodgey MOT before I bought the car last year (off a trader) or I've not noticed doing 40mph over speed bumps for a year :hyst

Anyway, I was going round an island the other day and noticed a clicking/clunking coming from the N/S front wheel and previous experience tells me that this is the CV joint. I did a quick inspection and found most of the grease from the joint, sprayed all over the hub area, though the boot is not split and is secure.

I'm guessing an older boot replacement/repair didn't remove all grit and dirt.

I was wondering, do the driveshafts connect to a cup on the gearbox or are they the push in type that create a seal preventing transmission fluid from pouring out?. I remember from working on MK3 golfs and mk4s that they are cupped, though I'm unsure about the passats (more than likely cupped if they trend).

I'm being lazy by asking this because I don't want to have to get under the car again until I need to.

Cheers guys. :ymhug:

Chris.

2005 B5.5 1.9 tdi 130 AWX

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login