TDI Loosing Coolant...

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

K2edg
B1
Passat model: B5 TDI

TDI Loosing Coolant...

Post by K2edg »

Hi all.

I have recently been having some problems with my B5 AFN TDI (1999), what seems to be happening is its Blowing Coolant out of the Header tank, the thing is it Only does this when its On Boost which makes me think the Head Gasket is Past its best.

Just to make sure i've covered my Bases i have also changed the Water Pump (Wanted to use a Metal Impeller type) and i've also Swapped the Thermostat (was working but for what it cost might as well).

So Today i got into the Strip down, and i noticed when i removed the rad a large Water Mark? But i'm not convinced the rad is leaking (can't see any damage at the highest point)
I am toying with the idea of replacing this too? (to be on the safe side) but the only one locally to me is a valeo part no 732361 and the Guy in the Shop says that Rad covers the whole B5 Passat Range? (is that right one rad fits all??)

What do you think? I tried to Pressure test it but i can't see a leak?? but My rad looks a bit Crusty in places so might be worth Changing it just to be on the safe side..... But Can anyone tell me if the Rad Qouted is correct for my car?

This topic has 25 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login