1.8T 20V 1998 wont start - weird problem

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

funkymonkeybooze
still on the production line
Passat model: B5 1.8T

1.8T 20V 1998 wont start - weird problem

Post by funkymonkeybooze »

What a strain, went to pick up the caravan to go on hols, car broke down on way at 70mph on motorway, engine just cut out all together! Coasted off slip road, waited 2 mins, restarted, chugged around the corner to safety, now won't go at all. - 175000miles.

AA man tried spark (flashy light), fuel in fuel rail (didn't test pressure), pulled sensor cables, only one that worked was pulling the throttle valve cable, but only ran at idle, nothing else. Pulled crank speed sensor after returning home, cleaned it, replaced, no joy. My thoughts are vacuum leaks, but have crawled all over the engine bay to no avail. I have also cleaned throttle body, was very clean anyhow, nothing obvious inside motor cover either (all appears like new). I did a sump/ oil pump change/clean a few weeks previous to change the blocked strainer. When I'd done everything ran sweet as. Was thinking there may be a cable loose/crimped somewhere? Any ideas oh passat gurus? Pump sounds like it primes at keyon.

I got boggo VCDS lite but it didn't let me connect to ECM, I got codes for useless fuel tank level sender open circuit (has been broken since I got car just count the miles :| ) , intermittent airbag short, and ambient air temp implausibility. I don't want to get VCDS lite full as I'm broke :). If I did would I be able to communicate with the engine (01)? I can get immobiliser, airbag, instruments ok. Anybody nearby I can slip some £ to get a readout of codes with VCDS? Priors Marston Warwickshire. I'd come to you but I have a 1800kg paperweight at the moment.

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login