B5.5 PD130 6sp swap - clutch question

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

charliet
Passat model: B5.5

B5.5 PD130 6sp swap - clutch question

Post by charliet »

Hi,

I am a regular on TDIclub, but new to this forum. I have a B5.5 variant/wagon with the US PD130 TDI here in the US. I just completed a 6 speed swap on it, removing the 01V auto and fitting an O1E DQS trans. (The B5 TDIs only came with auto in the US, sucks).
I struggled to find a suitable clutch, and ended up with a SouthBend TDI (22 lb) 228mm flywheel and Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Pressure plate. I was assured by several TDI/SBC vendors that 228 would be fine.
Swap went fine, everything (ABS, ESP, cruise etc) works fine.
However I have a really bad resonance/vibration in 4/5/6th gear at 1900-2100 rpm under load/throttle. It is worst in 6th, the entire subframe and chassis vibrates, it is almost undriveable.
I have done a lot of reading on all the forums, and suspect that the lack of DMF may have a lot to do with this ? and that if I had to do SMF, then the heavier 240mm flywheel would be preferred.
My questions are :
1. With the AVF (1.9PD tdi) and 6 speed setup, is the spacer plate used (5.5mm or 6mm between the block and the trans) ?? Looking at ETKA it is confusing, unclear why it was used on some, not others. My clutch pedal bites quite high, I suspect a spacer would fix this.
2. I am 99% sure a stock 240mm DMF and clutch will fit in my 01E just fine. Are there any stronger/aftermarket DMF setups ?
3. It appears I will need to swap the starter motor, the 240mm setup seems to use one with a longer housing ? does anyone have any pictures of this setup ? I suspect my NS engine mount is going to interfere, as it is very close to my existing/shorter starter.

For reference, the US PD130 is a BHW code, with a 81mm bore (2.0l). It comes with a crappy, chain driven balancer shaft/oil pump setup, which I have removed and fitted a standard PD oil pump/chain setup. That actually makes it identical to the AVF, only bored to 81mm.

Thanks !!

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login