A lesson in cambelts

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

techie
B5.5

A lesson in cambelts

Post by techie »

I'm sure Rene won't mind me posting a few pics of his Passat i'm working on at the moment. Its a pretty good illustration of a common fault on earlier Passat 1.8T's and it may help someone out at some point.

Rene I believe has not long bought his AEB engined 1.8T Passat. And had been assured the cambelt had been changed before he bought it. However after a ratling noise started at the front of the engine he had his doubts and asked me to take a look. What I found was a cambelt with next to no tension on it what so ever, how it hadn't come off I don't know, very lucky for Rene.

A common fault on the earlier AEB engines was a very poor tensioner design. Similar to the later and much better set up, but the tensioner is joined to the tensioning damper by a little ball joint. This joint breaks and the tensioner roller then goes loose.

This usually results in the belt coming off and bent valves.

The repair is to fit the later spec tensioner and damper and a shorter cambelt.

Here is a comparrison on the old (left) and new (right) set up.

The car is now much happier with its new belt as you can imagine.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login