Ebay suspension kits - again!!

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dckb
B1
Passat model: B5 1.9TD AFN

Ebay suspension kits - again!!

Post by dckb »

Hi,

I've had my passat for nearly a year. It's been knocking a bit and a couple of clunks. I've been putting off doing the suspension mainly because I'm lazy, but I'll use the excuse of working on other cars too.
Having read around it seems it's much cheaper to replace the arms than the bushes and joints.
Fair enough, that will leave me with a service set I can press out at my leisure if needed.

Bit of background. I own an AFN 1.9TD which is the daily driver and general towing/lugging workhorse.
It's currently rocking around 170K and it's been happily running on veg oil for the last year. It's twin tanked, so starts and shuts down on pump diesel, but after the ridiculously long engine warm up time (seems to be an AFN trait!) it runs on 100% veg in summer and a road legal mix of fuels in the winter. All of this runs through a flat plate heater from an old combi boiler and various solenoids to switch the fuels. I've been running veg in various cars for a good 8 years & over 140K personal miles now, but still plenty to learn on the subject!

So on to the ebay kits.
I've read a lot on here from various people (tho often the same ones..) that the ebay kits are all rubbish.
I know from long experience of internet forums that if a myth keeps getting spoken it soon becomes law.
eg1: you'll blow up your car with veg oil.
eg2: that gearbox wont take 400bhp.

So I'm wondering, who has actually had problems with these kits, other than heresay ?

They currently seem to range from sub £100 to around £180 for the cheaper kits.
Hard to tell the differences as no one wants to give you detailed info so it's take a punt and see other than imperical data.
If they were to last 20K miles then for the money I'd be happy to go for it.

So does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share please? - good and certainly bad !
I'll be quite honest and open with mine if/when I take the plunge.
We only learn by trying and making mistakes, and if sharing others helps everyone learn I'm all for it :-bd

Dave

This topic has 32 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login