paint 12year warranty

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

bobbypee
B1
Passat model: CC 170 GT

Re: paint 12year warranty

Post by bobbypee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am

Got her back last night :D Now to get some 18s and maybe lower her a tad......
IMGP003211.JPG
IMGP003411.JPG
IMGP003711.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sharpesville
Passat model: B5.5

Post by sharpesville » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Guys, following my first post on 30th May, I would just like to follow up and thank JimC64 for his invaluable advice (See below)

[quote="JimC64"]UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>

I called VW today say that its been 14 days since my last contact when they offered 70% contribution, and had they had a chance to reconsider their position?
The answer was NO as there was nothing to reconsider and the 70% Goodwill offer remained final.

I replied that I had raised an action with Motorcodes
Motorcodes - 71 Great Peter street London SW1P 2BN 0800 692 0825
http://www.motorcodes.co.uk

Motorcodes advised that I would have to get the car inspected by an independent assessor 01543 266906 to help my case.

I said to my case manager in VW that I was disgusted at VW's response, especially as they had recently suffered from the injector recall, and the DSG issue in China
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... b&cd=1&ved =0CB4QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carnewschina.com %2F2012%2F05%2F31%2Fchinese-car-buyers-complain-about-dsg-volkswagen-extends-warranty%2F&ei=SZrIT_G6POK90QW3v5TsAQ&usg=AFQjCNE7 HClo6l0daRwOo_r1dYRSf0h5xw&sig2=KAQFgrprKAWibyuMT5 nlvg

and that I fully intended to pursue this matter until the end.
I had taken legal advice from the CAB and would be sending them a letter to their registered address
VW Customer care
Volkswagen passenger cars
Selectapost 12
Sheffield S97 3ZU

I was informed that this was unnecessary, but I said it would be done simply to comply with legal requirements anyway and also that Milton Keynes and Motorcodes would be copied in on it.

I also stated that I would ensure that the matter would receive as much publicity as possible in my fight to make VW stand up to their warranty offered when the car was new.

Around 15 minutes later I received a call from VW stating that they have contacted the bodyshop and reviewed my situation and find that they can indeed offer 100% contribution with a courtesy car and its booked in next week.

I had actually forgotten that I'd taken the car in so it was't untill the 24th July that I got round to calling VW in Wrexham to ask them when I was likely to hear from them. Nothing had been sorted so the guy there said he'd call me back in an hour with an update. True to form he rang me in an hour with an offer of 70% goodwill from VW UK for the work to be done. This is where Jim's advice came in to it's own. I literally spouted verbatim his comments above re Motorcodes, taking VW to the small claims court, and the ensuing publicity that I could raise via that as a mate of mine is the Editor of the Chester Chronicle (Local paper!). Once again the chap at VW Wrexham said, 'leave it with me and I'll have another chat with VW'.

This would appear to be the standard MO nowadays as sure enough, around an hour and a half later I had a phone call confirming that VW had raised their offer to 100% and when would I like to book the car in and did I need a courtesy car!!!!!

As we were going to be away for the next couple of weeks a courtesy car wasn't necessary but I picked the car up yesterday and it was resplendent with two brand new front wings, and a damn fine job they had done too.

So, once again, thanks to Jim for his entries on this forum, and to anyone else in a similar situation, follow his process and you will get the job done, courtesy of VW with only minor hassle.

Cheers guys, you've all been most helpful. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Catch you all later,

Steve.

stuart182
B3

Post by stuart182 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34 pm

All those who are getting this stuff done now dont forget to keep checking your wings every few days, the rust came back on one of mine and vw were gonna give me a new one for free. Sold the car now though.

scott180gtb
still on the production line
Passat model: b5

Post by scott180gtb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Hello Chaps

This is my first post so bear with me.

I have just bought back my 2003 passat from my father to use a s a company car. I have noticed that the front wings are full of rust were the pads attach at the back of the liner. I'm going to ring VW York in the morning and arrange for a paint inspection.

Wish me luck.

stuart182
B3

Post by stuart182 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

scott180gtb wrote:Hello Chaps

This is my first post so bear with me.

I have just bought back my 2003 passat from my father to use a s a company car. I have noticed that the front wings are full of rust were the pads attach at the back of the liner. I'm going to ring VW York in the morning and arrange for a paint inspection.

Wish me luck.
York where pretty good. Thats where I took mine. The paint guy is really annoying to deal with on warranty stuff though unless your actually infront of him. If he says he will ring you back give it a day then ring him lol.

scott180gtb
Passat model: b5

Post by scott180gtb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I just thought I would update this.

I rang VW customer services yesterday and got a reference number. I know for a fact that the car has had paint on the front nearside due to vandal damage not due to rust. The offside wing is factory paint as is the boot lid. The car failed its MOT today on the rear number plate lights which led me to find more rust around the lights. #-o

My car has VWSH up to 60,000 and independent there after.

From everyone experience what is the best way to tackle the body shop men. I would like to argue the case that the issue of rust on the nearside is due to the above mentioned technical bulletin. :-@

Is it case of arguing with the body man or having the discussion VW customer services? :)]

I think I read earlier in the thread that someone had there wing repaired even though it had had paint.

What do we think. Have I got a leg to stand on?

stuart182
B3

Post by stuart182 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:03 pm

If the wing has been repaired by VW and you have proof of this there isnt really anything they can say.

missmouse
B2
Passat model: B5.5 1.9 tdi 130

Post by missmouse » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 pm

most warranties arent worth the paper they are written on!

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: Amarok Ultimate

Post by dubber36 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Keep an eye out for Octobers Volkswagon Driver magazine on sale from next week. I've brought this rust issue to Neil Birkitt's attention, so it's will be interesting to see what he has to say about it.
2004 V6 TDI gone and replaced with a 2011 TDI Sport DSG which has gone too.

boardingdan

Post by boardingdan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Just had my reply from the dealers/customer services, and they are only offering goodwill of 70%. They are saying it's a paint defect so only covered by 3 years and not 12 under the rust through. Customer services suggest i should get a second opinion from a different dealer as i wasn't happy with the result. Any ideas? could get an independent paint inspection and get a letter saying so to send off to the courts? I went to the Swindon Mann Egerton dealership.

Mickwreay
Passat model: B5

Post by Mickwreay » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi all,

Anyone else had a rust issue around the rear number plate lights?
I stumbled accross this rust thread while looking for advice on horn replacement.

I have had my B5 from new in July 2001 & the only real rust issue is around the number plate light area.
I'm now tempted to visit a dealer & see if there is any chance of a repair.
The car is amazing and owes me nothing, it's just past 204,000 miles & has been serviced on time since new. Almost totally by VW.
Still returning >700 miles on a tank of diesel.
Regards,

Mick

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Corrosion around the number plate lights is a known issue as well. The fact that you have had the car from new and it has a full service history should go in your favour, but be quick. Your car will be 12 years old next July.

Mickwreay

Post by Mickwreay » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:03 am

So what's the best route to take?

VW customer services or local dealer?

Mick

Mickwreay

Post by Mickwreay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am

Update.....

Called VW UK customer services, "we've never heard of the issue & no recall outstanding"
Called Yeovil VW & spoke to warranty man, booked an appointment on thursday, he said he'd take a few snaps & send off to VW. He said he'd done a few of these recently.

Shame on VW for not owning up to these issues. They produce a quality product in the main, just need to accept these issues and deal with them. Repeat custom & a happy customer does more than any advert in my opinion.

I await the report.

Mickwreay

Post by Mickwreay » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi all,

Help moving fwd please.
Got a call from Yeovil VW & told me VW are not offering any help......no reason either!!!

He advised me to badger VW customer services, I called & got the usual poop. They are gonna have a manager call me sometime, what's my next step?

Mick

bobbypee
B1
Passat model: CC 170 GT

Post by bobbypee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Mick,

Have PM'd you with a contact number.

BR
Rob

ds1984
B7
Passat model: b5.5

Re: Odp: paint 12year warranty

Post by ds1984 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

campbell wrote:hi can anyone tell me if 12 year body warranty carries over to any owner of the car. the reason i ask is because my 03 sat has the paint blistering on the near side wheel arch. heard this a common prob due to some sponge on the inner part of the wheel arch inside the plastic cover that gets wet. any body heard of this prob. Cam
Both of my front arches had that foam on inner side. My b5.5 is a 54 plate estate and both front arches been replaced as in only this specific place they rusted to f...k.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-I9300 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

samthornton1990
B6

Post by samthornton1990 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:33 am

I went down to the dealership last week cause I have rust bubbling up around they keyhole on the tailgate... theyve taken pictures and sent them off... didnt ask me about service history or anything. Ill let you know how I get on.

Sent from my GT-I9100

JimC64

Post by JimC64 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 am

sharpesville wrote:Hi Guys, following my first post on 30th May, I would just like to follow up and thank JimC64 for his invaluable advice (See below)

JimC64 wrote:UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>

I called VW today say that its been 14 days since my last contact when they offered 70% contribution, and had they had a chance to reconsider their position?
The answer was NO as there was nothing to reconsider and the 70% Goodwill offer remained final.

I replied that I had raised an action with Motorcodes
Motorcodes - 71 Great Peter street London SW1P 2BN 0800 692 0825
http://www.motorcodes.co.uk

Motorcodes advised that I would have to get the car inspected by an independent assessor 01543 266906 to help my case.

I said to my case manager in VW that I was disgusted at VW's response, especially as they had recently suffered from the injector recall, and the DSG issue in China
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... b&cd=1&ved =0CB4QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carnewschina.com %2F2012%2F05%2F31%2Fchinese-car-buyers-complain-about-dsg-volkswagen-extends-warranty%2F&ei=SZrIT_G6POK90QW3v5TsAQ&usg=AFQjCNE7 HClo6l0daRwOo_r1dYRSf0h5xw&sig2=KAQFgrprKAWibyuMT5 nlvg

and that I fully intended to pursue this matter until the end.
I had taken legal advice from the CAB and would be sending them a letter to their registered address
VW Customer care
Volkswagen passenger cars
Selectapost 12
Sheffield S97 3ZU

I was informed that this was unnecessary, but I said it would be done simply to comply with legal requirements anyway and also that Milton Keynes and Motorcodes would be copied in on it.

I also stated that I would ensure that the matter would receive as much publicity as possible in my fight to make VW stand up to their warranty offered when the car was new.

Around 15 minutes later I received a call from VW stating that they have contacted the bodyshop and reviewed my situation and find that they can indeed offer 100% contribution with a courtesy car and its booked in next week.

I had actually forgotten that I'd taken the car in so it was't untill the 24th July that I got round to calling VW in Wrexham to ask them when I was likely to hear from them. Nothing had been sorted so the guy there said he'd call me back in an hour with an update. True to form he rang me in an hour with an offer of 70% goodwill from VW UK for the work to be done. This is where Jim's advice came in to it's own. I literally spouted verbatim his comments above re Motorcodes, taking VW to the small claims court, and the ensuing publicity that I could raise via that as a mate of mine is the Editor of the Chester Chronicle (Local paper!). Once again the chap at VW Wrexham said, 'leave it with me and I'll have another chat with VW'.

This would appear to be the standard MO nowadays as sure enough, around an hour and a half later I had a phone call confirming that VW had raised their offer to 100% and when would I like to book the car in and did I need a courtesy car!!!!!

As we were going to be away for the next couple of weeks a courtesy car wasn't necessary but I picked the car up yesterday and it was resplendent with two brand new front wings, and a damn fine job they had done too.

So, once again, thanks to Jim for his entries on this forum, and to anyone else in a similar situation, follow his process and you will get the job done, courtesy of VW with only minor hassle.

Cheers guys, you've all been most helpful. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Catch you all later,

Steve.

Steve, I'm so glad that you and others are getting some joy on this now.....excellent news!!

In actual fact some of the other sites I'm on are also starting to report more & more successes on this issue.
The good news is that it actaully seems to be getting easier in the main for a higher percentage of those that use the proocesses I and others have outlined.

For those that are just now going through this, or anyone coming into this thread.......Be strong and prepared to fight for your rights.....You WILL win out in the end :-bd

Pa$$atpete

Post by Pa$$atpete » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Can anyone confirm that the undertray must be removed from the car when the front wings are replaced? I assume it does.

The reason why I ask is that my car is currently in for a service and I have been told that all of the clips holding the undertray on are either damaged or broken and it's being held on my cable ties! The price they quoted me for a replacement fitted was £400!

Unfortunatelty I can't prove it was all intact before it went into their bodyshop for the front wings but if they put it back on with only cable ties I'll be bringing that up!

Jim we used the same dealer, would you be able to check that you undertray has been put back on properly?

Cheers

Peter

torque777
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: golf tdi wagon

Post by torque777 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm

You can get copies for £100 and fitting kits for £15 on eBay, that's a rip off

sent using my own fingers
passat 2002 sport oem+ ....gone but not forgoten....still missed

polo-mk3
B7
Passat model: B5.5 TDi 130 AWX

Post by polo-mk3 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Has anybody had problems from VW that have had a tow bar fitted?

Just as the bumper needs to be removed to fit one.

I ask as mine had the pass side wing replaced (before me) but the driver’s side is original (with a little rust) but the rear pass side arch needs sorting.

When I got mine it was had a tow bar fitted, the body work is not great on mine but I would like the rust sorting.
(Owned)
84 Mk2 Hatchback Polo c 1.0
91 Mk3 Hatchback Polo 1.0
93 Mk3 Coupe Polo Gensis 1.3
92 Mk3 Golf 1.4 Ryder
92 Mk3 Golf GT 1.4 - R.I.P / Gone to the scrap yard in the sky
82 Mk2 Hatchback Polo c (with GT engine) 1.3
81 Mk2 Polo Coupe S 1.3
93 Mk3 Golf CL 1.4
00 Mk4 Polo CL 1.4
00 Mk4 Golf GTI 2.0
97 Mk3 Golf Cabrio 2.0

(Current)
02 Passat Estate TDi S 1.9
04 Bora TDi Trendline 1.9
91 Golf mk2 Ryder 1.3
------------------------------------
My TDi is faster then your TDi, look my clusters say soooo
My Build Thingy -> Click Here :-P

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Mine has a tow bar. I think they'd have a pretty hard job trying to tell you that fitting a tow bar has contributed to your front wings rusting.

polo-mk3
B7
Passat model: B5.5 TDi 130 AWX

Post by polo-mk3 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I know that, I ment about the rear arch rust.

Maybe due to rear bumper not fitted correctly

Sent from Spectrum ZX81 with Microdrive
(Owned)
84 Mk2 Hatchback Polo c 1.0
91 Mk3 Hatchback Polo 1.0
93 Mk3 Coupe Polo Gensis 1.3
92 Mk3 Golf 1.4 Ryder
92 Mk3 Golf GT 1.4 - R.I.P / Gone to the scrap yard in the sky
82 Mk2 Hatchback Polo c (with GT engine) 1.3
81 Mk2 Polo Coupe S 1.3
93 Mk3 Golf CL 1.4
00 Mk4 Polo CL 1.4
00 Mk4 Golf GTI 2.0
97 Mk3 Golf Cabrio 2.0

(Current)
02 Passat Estate TDi S 1.9
04 Bora TDi Trendline 1.9
91 Golf mk2 Ryder 1.3
My TDi is faster then your TDi, look my clusters say soooo
My Build Thingy -> Click Here :-P

meriafel
B3

Post by meriafel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 am

polo-mk3 wrote:Has anybody had problems from VW that have had a tow bar fitted?

Just as the bumper needs to be removed to fit one.

I ask as mine had the pass side wing replaced (before me) but the driver’s side is original (with a little rust) but the rear pass side arch needs sorting.

When I got mine it was had a tow bar fitted, the body work is not great on mine but I would like the rust sorting.
Rear wheel arches are not usually a problem and you may have a problem in making your claim stick. The usual signs are flat blisters that seem to be more prominent/visible on a warm /hot day. There isn't usually rust bubbling through, just flat blisters as if the lacquer/topcoat has de-laminated although you may well see crusty rust to the wheelarch metal edge if you inspect beneath. Don't disturb this if you find it, just get off to your VW Approved Bodyshop to register your claim! Don't give up or accept ridiculous statements from either your dealer or VW. It may well take 3 months from initial approaches to VW to the car sitting on your drive with work done at no cost to you.......so don't despair...just keep pushing...!
PS. My 2002 Passat as a factory fitted Westfalia Detachable tow Bar which wasn't a problem. I haven't had any issues with rust in the tailgate although I did have a patch at the side of the tailgate numberplate that I treated and touched-in in 2004 when the car was still under Warranty as I assumed it was caused by the previous owner. Had it not been visible it could have remained unseen behind the numberplate and now in a hole!