Dash Removal Complete - CCM & Drying Carpet?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

f0xy
still on the production line
Passat model: B5 TDi

Dash Removal Complete - CCM & Drying Carpet?

Post by f0xy »

Hi...

The B5 i purchased needed a replacement heater matrix - after reading on here and PassatWorld the only information I could find was the dash had to come out. Now I'm not new to building/working on cars, but I've never had a VAG before.

The current heater matrix pipes had been looped to stop the coolant leak. A few other gremlins were at work also, as the interior front light would not work - which after reading on here could be CCM related? and the Climatronic would flash its display on start up, which I would assume is due to the air-con pump not having a belt on it, or the matrix not being plumbed up?

I purchased a heater matrix today and set about removing the dashboard. Had the whole thing out in around 30 mins, a lot easier than I thought it would be, and a far cry from some of the descriptions on how it would be on PassatWorld.

I eventually got the entire heater box out, and replaced the matrix. One of the pipes on the old (I would assume original) matrix was cracked, probably causing the leaking. Ive left it at that for today as it was going dark, so I will re-fit it all tomorrow - but the reason for this thread is I have a few questions....

1. The carpet was damp-ish on top, so I pulled the passenger side up and it was soaked underneath. The CCM outer box was wet, but dry inside. I have taken it out and dismantled it in the house to let it dry out - So I would assume that is OK. Although, one of the previous owners (or a garage) has been there in the past, as there are a few 'DIY' crimps on a couple of the wires leading to the CCM. I am going to re-do these with solder and heat shrink, and check the rest of them. Im sure I saw a thread on here regarding someone pulling the loom back and moving the CCM behind the glovebox? Is this OK to do?

2. When I removed the heater box, you could see where the coolant had been leaking down the back of the bulkhead and into the passenger footwell - as I have read this seems common. While I was at it, I checked the scuttle drains and they were completely clear - so I would hope the only leak was the cracked matrix... There was a pool of water under the CCM box which I have dried up, but the carpet underlay is SOAKED. I have lifted it up and propped it up to air, had the hairdryer on it and it seems to be dripping at the bottom quite quickly, so hopefully a lot will drain out over night before the dash goes back in. Does anyone have any tips on how to dry the carpet/underlay?

3. As mentioned the scuttle drains are clear. But is it worth doing the pollen filter case mod with sealant (described at the top of the forum)? I have not got round to checking it yet - but will do it tomorrow if its worth doing?

4. I dont know why the previous owner removed the air con belt, and there was no gas in the system either. Should it just be as easy as fit a new belt and get it gassed - and just hope the pump is OK? If the pump has a fault when powered on would VAGCOM bring it up?

Apart from that the car runs fine. Its a 110TDi sport estate on 1999 plate. It pulls very well and gave 55mpg @ 75mph over 200 miles yesterday.

Is there anything worth doing as a matter of course so I know it is all fine? Clean the EGR valve? etc

Cheers if anyone can offer any help!

This topic has 35 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login