Passenger side airbag sensor location

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

fvf
still on the production line
Passat model: B5

Passenger side airbag sensor location

Post by fvf » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 pm

I was told my airbag sensor light is on because of a sensor in the passenger side footwell. I've been under the carpet there a few times to mop up water, but I've only seen the comfort module. Anyone knows where exactly this sensor would be located?

dave_1
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 Tdi 130Bhp

Re: Passenger side airbag sensor location

Post by dave_1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi
Whats the fault code?

Dave
vag-Tacho 2.5 ,Vag-com , Sykes pickavant ACR4 , Elsawin ,ETKA, Key coding ,Servicing, Repairs,Autodata,Vivid,Damage free car opening in east sussex

jojo
B5
Passat model: B5 TDI 115PD SE

Post by jojo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:14 pm

fvf wrote:I was told my airbag sensor light is on because of a sensor in the passenger side footwell. I've been under the carpet there a few times to mop up water, but I've only seen the comfort module. Anyone knows where exactly this sensor would be located?

It's the connector under the seat, it's either Yellow or purple, don't remember off the top of my head. Common problem, disconnect car battery before you touch it, just in case! Unplug it, spray with WD40 and reconnect, then you need someone with VagCom or similar to reset your airbag light.
VW B5 Passat Estate TDI PD 115 | 18" RS6(V2) Replica's | Autotechnics -40mm springs/KYB shocks | Debadged Grill | Tinted windows | Xenon Headlights
VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V 5door | Helios Blue | Full S/S Scorpion Exhaust System.

fvf

Post by fvf » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't know the fault code, I had the car at the dealership for the MOT. I asked them to scan the car, and they said it was a driver side airbag sensor. I understood them to say it was located under the carpet somewhere. But I also thought the sensors were in the seats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't entirely accurate. (They also failed the car for the MOT and quoted me a hefty sum to fix it , when I brought it in to another garage for a second opinion they swiftly OK'd it.. :-o )

fvf

Post by fvf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 am

Well I finally got the VAG-COM going, so here's the code. I tried to clear it, but it came back immediately. I'll be having a look under the passenger seat this evening.

Address 15: Airbags
Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 B
Component and/or Version: 05 AIRBAG VW5 0004
Software Coding: 12341
Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
1 Fault Found:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)
28-00 - Short to Plus

jony
B6
Passat model: passat widow

Post by jony » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:17 am

crash sensors are located under the carpet , bolted next to where the front seat bolt is ,

if you remove the seat you can lift the carpet up to get to it ,they are held on by two 5mm allen key bolts
J.G AUTO DIAGNOSTICS COMING SOON IN THE YORKSHIRE AREA
(NEED A PASSAT PART,JUST LET ME KNOW)

fvf

Post by fvf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks jony, that means it's probably the shitty drainage that's flooding the footwell causing a short in the airbag sensor. I really need to fix the drainage. The pollen filter and the spot under the battery were dry when I last checked and found the carpet soaked, though, so I guess the leak must be somewhere further below the battery area (?) I also noticed the last time I was under the car that the spongy substance under the footwell was completely soaked. sigh.

Is removing the seat a big job? I have the haynes manual and I guess it's described there.

fvf

Post by fvf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I took the seat out, picked up the carpet and it was moist bordering on liquid. Got the sensor out and am now keeping it in a warm dry place, I'm hoping any moisture inside will dry out. Also drying the carpet, and I'll see tomorrow when I put it all back together if the fault clears. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get a new sensor. Thanks for all help.

fvf

Post by fvf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Saga continues.. I reconnected the seat and sensor, but the fault came back every time I cleared it. "Short to plus". I then disconnected the sensor, cleared the fault, but still it reappeared: "Short to plus".

Wouldn't this indicate that there is indeed a short in the wiring harness somewhere, or even in the airbag controller? Does anyone have any clue what the fault would/should be for a missing airbag sensor?

fvf

Post by fvf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:19 pm

With the battery disconnected I tried to measure the resistance between the two leads to the sensor. My multimeter didn't seem to be up to the task, providing very different measurements (in the many kilo-ohms range) depending on its range setting. Doesn't seem consistent with a wire fault to me (I tried to pull the wires too, to trigger any wire damage), to no ohmage response. Seems to me more like a floating output in the airbag controller. Guess I'll try to get a new sensor off of ebay.

FWIW at least I got to clean the car well under that seat when I had it removed :) I just bought an upholstery brush, you wouldn't believe the amount of dust it chased out of the upholstery.

Getting the seats on and off was quite easy, btw. I'll probably remove the other seat later on just to clean under/around it.

fvf

Post by fvf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Oh, and there was a piece that popped out from somewhere near the corner of the bonnet over/beside the pollen filter, and I couldn't figure out where to put it back! x_x I'm trying to attach an image, hopefully it works. So, does anyone know what this might be/where it goes?

fvf

Post by fvf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Attachment failure.. well here's an URL: http://fjeld.homeip.net:8080/part.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fvf

Post by fvf » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Happy ending: Got a new sensor off ebay, replaced the old one and the fault cleared. :-bd