B5.5 Brakelight mod

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

firehawk
B5
Passat model: b5.5 130 tdi

B5.5 Brakelight mod

Post by firehawk »

I finally decided to get on and do the brakelight mod on my ssat. I decided to do it differently to the usual way of soldering wires to the bulbs. This makes it easier to change the bulbs in the future and it was also quicker and easier to do the mod. The original idea was to drill some slots and fit little metal tabs so as to work like the normal connectors. That idea failed because there wasn't enough access for the dremel. Instead, I went for the below idea.

First off I made up the wires. I used 2 inches of wire with a small male bullet crimp at one end. On the other end, I fitted a small flat female crimp.

I then removed the bulbs and drilled a small hole in the socket area exactly the same size as the bullet connector.

I then refitted the bulbs and slotted the bullet connector into the hole. You could glue them in but I decided not to. Mainly because it is a nice tight fit but also because it gives me some adjustment whenever I need to change the bulbs. It also means that it'll be completely reversible in the future.

Next, I fitted the other end of the wire onto the relevant pins in what I am guessing is the socket for factory towbars.

With everything fitted back on, it now works perfectly.

You could go mental and do all 3 bulbs but that would leave the problem of needing a seperate foglight.

Gardening is just racism for plants

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login