Syncro Air-Box Modification

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Bee-Aitch-Pee
B1

Syncro Air-Box Modification

Post by Bee-Aitch-Pee »

Hiya Gang,

I thought i`d share my findings on a little modification i did to my `98 Syncro estate at the weekend whilst bored.....

Now first off i ran the generic aftermarket conefilter.......

But i never really liked this from the off. As it was a held together by cable ties and dark magic, it looked "stumpy"... it emptied a portion of the engine bay out, wasnt very "VAG" . eg sheee-iiite, and all a bit Fast n The Furious for my tastes!

So, upon reading Aposegils words that the standard box is good for 500bhp, who was i to argue with the boffins at Vee-DoubleYou.
So next stage.....

Get the original box back out of the shed, and get a modding.

I cut the bottom 1/3 out of the leading edge of the box, to improve the airflow a little bit more. To achieve this... all i did was mark out where i was going to cut.... get out an old screwdriver. Place it on my gas cookers naked flame till glowing hot, and worked my way round the outline. A little longwinded. But got there in the end.
You could probably hacksaw or handheld grinder your way through with hindsight.
Once it was cutout, i just tidied the melted edges with a good old sandpapering

This is how the airbox looks assembled again with the mod. Just incase anyone is thinking of doing this thereselves, and wants to make sure they cut the right bit out!

Ok, now its just a case of putting everything back in place where it came from. I know im teaching you how to suck eggs, but i got kinda snap happy!
So bottom segment of the airbox went in place first

Placed the top section on, clipped down and re-attached all associated pipework

Place the shields on, and give it a bit of a scrub for good measure!
Looks factory fresh and far better than the cone filter imo?

...and as for performance, it sounds equally as snorty as the cone filter

Hope this helps......

This topic has 20 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login