[RECOVERED] B5 Buyers Guide

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dithane
B1

[RECOVERED] B5 Buyers Guide

Post by Dithane »

B5 BUYERS GUIDE

ukpassats.co.uk Forum Index -> PASSAT B5

admin
site admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:21 pm Post subject: B5 BUYERS GUIDE

Hello all , just thought this was a good idea as i have come across a few things that have opened my eyes and its nice to pass it on to others

please feel free to add to this thread ...BUT remember its not a chat room thread , only on topic items please !

===============================================
i have a 1998 b5 1.8t 20v r reg se

Just a note for you all of things to watch out for when you buy and things to note before you go out there !

1) CHECK ALL THE BELTS HAVE BEEN DONE I GOT TOLD 80K THEY SHOULD BE CHANGED . INC TENSIONERS ETC , AND CHECK WHAT TENSIONER IT IS AS THE PRICES VARY!

2) BRAKES , MY BRAKES WERE GOOSED AND ALL HAD TO BE REPLACED , DONT KNOW IF THIS WAS PREVIOUS OWNER OR ITS A COMMON THING

3) ALL FRONT SUSPENSION ARMS , UPPER AND LOWER , THIS CAN BE FROM £30 FOR ONE ARM TO £200+ FOR ALL THE ARMS ! PLUS FITTING , AND REGULARY NEED CHECKING !

4) AIR FLOW METER , A COMMON FAULT , IF THE CAR YOU DROVE FEELS FLAT THIS MAYBE THE PROBLEM!?

5) FRONT AND REAR DRIVERSIDE FLOOR - A FEW PASSATS RECENTLY SEEM TO BE GETTING THIS PROBLEM OF WATER LEAKING IN THROUGH UNDER THE DOORS ....YOU,LL SOON KNOW

6) CENTRAL LOCKING -- AND ALARM , CHECK THAT ALL DOORS LOCK AND UNLOCK AS THESE CAN SOMETIMES FAIL!?

===============================================

MORE TO FOLLOW IM SURE ....ps there good cars though!

ant
admin

passatman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:18 am

the water ingress thing......i've had problems with my v6....no windows....intermittent locking.....

was found to be the plastic housing in the bulkhead, for the pollen filter i think......the seals go and let water through......and it's completely nacked my convenience ecu Crying or Very sad

and don't forget the grommet under the battery....it blocks up and floods the car aswell...... :)

philip walker

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Oil pressure problems on 1.8T`s

This is often caused by the oil pick up blocking. This is often caused by long life service oil getting contaminated with other oil.

Easy fix pull the sump off and clean it. The two bolts in the rear of the sump can be undone by moving the flywheel into the correct position.

Symptoms are oil pressure ok on idle, when reved oil pressure drops light comes on.

billybob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:58 am

I had oil pressure warning on my 1.8T, though mine was ok under load but would come on at idle after a good run followed by slowing to crawl or standstill, worse on a hot day. It would also sound more rattly than a diesel when hot.

Replaced my oil pump and so far so good. Still waiting for a traffic jam on a really hot day to really test it but it certainly seems fine so far. Pickup on old pump was maybe a bit blocked but didn't look too bad.
I also have sourced VW approved oil from GSF and started using the oversized VW oil filters which allow you to get more oil in the system. All these probably have helped and I would highly recommend both to other 1.8T owners

I had been told by a contact at VW that I would need an engine crane to replace the oil pump (to avoid lowering subframe). Hope this was correct info as it cost me £135!!! to buy a crane. Finding one to borrow was proving very hard.

Do like the car though, or I wouldn't invest the effort in trying to restore it to it's former glory or better Smile

admin
site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:51 pm Post subject: RE B5

Just another thing to watch out for , REAR AXLE BUSHES

and TIE ROD ENDS , both these needed sorting recently on my b5 1998

axle bushes come complete so arent a nightmare and only cost £38+ vat each .

tie rods only about £10 each

ant

dubboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 pm

just thought id have a look at your guide and i thought id tell you a few other things
1.pollen filters leak water when the covers have not been placed back on propely.
2.some bottom arms on passats are part of a vw recall so check.
3.Engine mounts are proned and common to go as they are fluid filled you Know when they go as they knock slightly when you accelerate or slow/brake hard replace them with audi RS4(b5) parts they are stronger.
(alot of people think its the suspension arms) its actually moving on the subframe.
4.The pipe that runs from the inlet manifold to the dump valve actually disintegrate internally you will notice slight boost spiking . replace them with silicone piping this info also includes the pipe that runs from the fuel pressure regulator to the inlet manifold.

Hope these can help in the future